To start your Tecla Shield should be in 4-way Mode (blinking bright pink). If you are not sure how to change modes check here: Mode Change Instructions.
The 4-way mode takes advantage of VoiceOver, Apple’s built-in screen reading technology. The Vertical Navigation rotor option in VoiceOver provides 4-way switch-based navigation of the user interface.
This mode is designed for joystick or 4 or more switches and does not have the advanced features of Switch Control like gesture emulation. For most users we recommend using Switch Control, you can find the set-up instructions here:
To set it up:
1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth. With Bluetooth enabled, you should see the Tecla Shield DOS listed under Devices as TeclaShieldDOS-XXXX (where XXXX is a random sequence). Click on it. TeclaShieldDOS-XXXX should be under MY DEVICES and the status should change to Connected.
2. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver. Make sure VoiceOver is On.
3. Scroll down to the Rotor option. Un-check all Rotor options except Vertical Navigation; it should have a check mark to the right, as shown below.
4. Start controlling your iPhone or iPad using your adapted switches or the driving control of your powered wheelchair
5. Enable triple-click Home shortcut (optional) to toggle between touch mode and switch-access mode at any time. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut and select VoiceOver.
- The table below presents a summary of functions for the wheelchair port. Access through the wheelchair port is optimized for three and four switches through a directional controller (e.g., joystick) or the driving controls of a powered wheelchair.
|Function||Forward (Pin1)||Reverse (Pin2)||Left (Pin3)||Right (pin4)|
|Hold 1||Select||Escape / Dismiss||Previous Page||Next Page|
|Hold 2||Toggle Kyboard||Home||Toggle QuickNav||Toggle QuickNav|
|Hold 3||Change Rotor Option||Siri|
|Hold 8||Toggle QuickNav||Toggle Speech Output||Toggle Speech Output||Toggle Speech Output|
|Double Click||Scan Lock Up||Scan Lock Down||Scan Lock Left||Scan Lock Right|
- The Tecla Shield uses click and hold switch events to achieve full access to the iPhone and iPad with as little as a single button switch. The table below presents a summary of functions for switch ports 1 and 2 (referred to as SP-1 and SP-2).
|Function||SP-1 (full single-switch access)||SP-2 (App single-switch access)|
|Click||Auto-scan start/toggle direction||Select|
|Hold 2||Toggle Keyboard|
|Hold 3||Toggle rotor Option|
|Hold 4||Escape / Dismiss|
|Hols 8||Toggle QuickNav||Toggle Speech Output|