Switch Access allows you to use tecla-e and connected switches or wheelchair controls to navigate and interact with your Fire tablet (FireOS 6 and higher).
Set Up Switch Access
Depending on your motor ability, you may need assistance from another person to set up Switch Access.
- Turn on your Fire tablet.
- On your Fire tablet, navigate to Settings > Connected Devices > Pair new device.
- Place your tecla-e in pairing mode by pressing and holding the on/off switch to the gear position until you hear a beep, the status indicator light will change to orange.
- Tap on tecla-e when it appears on the list.
- Once connected, on your Fire tablet, navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Access and then set the toggle to On.
- Follow the step-by-step process. Choose the number of switches to use, how to scan and the speed, and assign your switches to the desired action.
A test is run on your setup to confirm that Switch Access is working.
Guide to Using Switch Access for Fire Tablet
Tips for using Switch Access to perform actions on your device such as scroll, tap, page turn, and volume control.
|To do this
Navigate backwards, jump to home, or show the App Switcher.
Use the options in the Switch Access "Menu" located at the top middle of the screen when scanning.
Access media controls and change volume.
Use the contextual Switch Access options in the top left of the screen or in the Switch Access "Menu" during media playback.
Unlock your device.
Use the Unlock button at the top left of the screen.
Perform a secondary action on an item.
Choose Disable auto-select from the Switch Access "Menu."
Access items that are low in the scan order.
Use Point Scan mode, which is available in the Switch Access "Menu."
Note: Point Scan mode uses horizontal and vertical cross-hair lines to choose a point on the screen to select.
Scroll through your Fire tablet.
Activate your switch when the scrollable area is highlighted and indicated with arrows at the edges.
Access notifications & quick device settings.
Use the options in the Switch Access "Menu."
Turn pages in Kindle e-books.
Use the contextual Switch Access options, which appear in the top left of the screen when scanning is activated.
- Dictate text by selecting the microphone button in the bottom right of the keyboard.
- Ask Alexa to quickly access apps and features. Just say, "Open the Silk Browser" or "Play Jack Ryan in Prime Video."
- Add bookmarks in the Silk browser to access your favorite website.
- Set your device screen to the landscape position for watching full screen videos.
Troubleshoot Switch Access on Fire Tablet
Try these steps if Switch Access stopped working.
- Check that your tecla-e has enough battery, is turned on, and connected to your Fire tablet.
- Turn off the Switch Access feature, then turn it back on.
- Restart your Fire tablet. Hold the power button and select Restart.
- Unpair your Bluetooth device from your Fire tablet settings and complete setup again.