With the tecla-e ready for connection and the switches connected to it, follow the steps below to set up your Apple TV with Switch Control:
1. On your Apple TV Go to Settings > Remotes and Devices and Select Bluetooth.
2. Turn on your tecla-e by sliding the 3-way Power switch to the middle position. To put your tecla-e in pairing mode, slide & hold the blue power switch to the gear position for 3 seconds, at which point the tecla-e will make a pairing sound.
3. On your TV you should see the tecla-e listed under Other Devices as tecla-e XXXX (where XXXX is a random sequence). Select tecla-e XXXX and when the pop-up window appears, press Pair. After a few seconds, tecla-e should be under My Devices and appear as Connected. Once tela-e is paired you can proceed to the next step.
4. To assign actions to your switches, Go back to the main settings Page. Go to the top and select General. Then select Accessibility and scroll down and click on Switch Control. Do Not turn ON Switch Control yet, first, you need to add the switches you will be using.
5. Click on Switches and then Click on Add New Switch.
6. The screen will prompt you to Activate your external Switch. Press one of the switches connected to the tecla-e. In the pop-up window type a name for your switch and then press Done.
7. If you are using a single switch choose the “Select Item” action. See the “Available Actions” description on the Notes section below for a brief description of other possible switch actions that you can assign to optional additional switches besides your main selection switch. The “Recommended Configurations” table on Notes section below may also be helpful for assigning switch actions. To add more than one Switch repeat steps 5-7.
8. Go back to the main Switch Control menu and make sure that the Scanning Style item is set to Auto if you are using a single switch.
9. Switch control has the option of adding an action to a long press for your switch. To add this feature, make sure Long Press is ON in the Switch Control Settings. Go into your Switches and select the switch you want to use for Long Press. Click on Long Press and select the action you want.
10. Once you have added all your switches Go back to Switch Control, and activate Switch Control by clicking on the on/off control. You will now see a box highlighting your options on the screen. At this point, you should be able to control your Apple TV using Switch Control with tecla-e.
- You can learn more about Switch Control and its features by visiting the Apple tv User guide at: http://help.apple.com/appletv/#/atvbd5a8ac07
- Select item
- Scanner Menu
- Resume Auto Scanning
- Move to Next item
- Move to Previous item
- Stop scanning
- App Switcher
- Decrease Volume
- Increase Volume
- Triple-Click Home
- Select Button
- Menu Button
- Home Button
- Play Button
In addition, switch control can be highly customized to suit the specific needs of many individuals. Additional settings include:
- Adjust how rapidly items are scanned
- Turn off auto scanning (only if you’ve added a Move to Next Item switch)
- Set scanning to pause on the first item in a group
- Choose how many times to cycle through the screen before hiding Switch Control
- Set whether a movement action is repeated when you hold down a switch, and how long to wait before repeating
- Add another action to a switch by holding down the switch for a long duration
- Choose a Press behavior and set the interval for performing a second switch action to show the control menu
- Set whether and how long you need to hold a switch down before it’s accepted as a switch action
- Have Switch Control ignore accidental repeated switch triggers
- Turn on sound effects or have items read aloud as they’re scanned
- Choose which items appear in menus and the order in which they appear
- Choose what to include in the Switch Control menu
- Set whether items should be grouped while item scanning
- Make the selection cursor larger or a different color
Fine-tune Switch Control.Choose Settings from the control menu to:
- Adjust scanning speed
- Change the location of the control menu
- Turn sound or speech accompaniment on or off
- Turn off groups to scan items one at a time
- Change the cursor color